TREK TO GORAKHGAD
ON 11TH OCTOBER 2014 TO 12TH OCTOBER 2014.
About the Fort:-
Gorakhgad is a small fort at Dehri village near Murbad. Named after Saint Goraknath, the fort is at a height of 2150 ft above sea level. It is located in Murbad region, on the extended range of Bhimashankar mountains. No major battle is recorded to have taken place here.
Two spectacular pinnacles can be seen from Dehri – the smaller one is Machchindragad and the bigger one Gorakhgad.
Route:- From Kalyan (on the Bombay-Pune Main Line) one has to take a bus to Murbad from where there are mini-buses to Narivali or to Dehri. Bus Frequency to Narivali is 30min (first bus at 7am & last bus at 1230am). To Dehri there is only one bus in the morning. So it is better to go to Narivali. From Narivali one can proceed to climb Gorakhgad but this route is quite steep & marred by lot of scree). The preferred route is to reach Deshmukhwadi on the way to Dehri and take the route behind Gorakshanath Temple. From Mumbai, one can reach Murbad via Kalyan, and from Pune go via Karjat. Buses and jeeps are available to the base village Dehri.
You can see Ahupe region of Bhimashankar forest from this fort. Also there is an old route which climbs to Ahupe and proceeds further towards Junnar.
This fort does not stand alone. Its a trio. Siddhagad, Gorakhgad and Macchindragad are the trio forts with Siddhagad as the biggest among three. Gorakhgad and Macchindragad are joined by a common ridge from which Gorakhgad is possible to climb Route to Macchindragad is so much broken that it is now unapproachable fort. While reaching up to Gorakhgad caves where we find water has a rock patch but easily manageable. The top of the rock passes through a bit tough route. Though not a technical climb, it has high exposure.
Itinerary for Trek:-
08.00pm – GET TOGETHER AT CST STATION TICKET COUNTER
09:30 pm – Reach Kalyan ST depot (We will catch bus to Murbad from here.)
11:30 pm – Will Reach Murbad ST depot and get bus for Dehri (Base Village)
1:40 Am - Reach at the base village- Dehri. Halt in Goraksharnath temple.
5:00 am– wake up
5:30 am – Start ascending towards Gorakhgad
8:00 am– At top
10:00 am - start descend –
12:30 pm– At base village – Dehri
01:00 pm– Lunch at Village
Approx 5 pm- At Kalyan station
Back to Home by 7-8 pm
Cost: - Rs. 400/- (Cost includes Public Transportation, dry snacks at top, Lunch)
Things to carry:-
• Carry one time meal for the trek.
canvas shoes / Sports shoes
• Ruck sack / Shoulder bag which can hold following items
• Water Bottle (2 Litres Minimum)
• Torch with spare set of batteries
• Plate, spoon.
• Spare Cotton Track pant & T- shirts 1 no each.
• Personal bedding, Sleeping Bag / 2 Bed sheet / Carry mat.
• Waterproof jacket / raincoat [if rains]
• Personal medical kit (personal medicines if any, prescribed by family Dr.)
• Please do not carry gold ornaments or any other valuables.
• Please do not carry handbags or zolas for the trek.
• Avoid Chapels / Slippers for trek
• Camera, Binocular is allowed at your own risk
• for safety please follow the expert’s/ Instructors advice on trek.
For more details Contact on
Mukund More – 08082058331
Santosh Gurav – 9222922048
Gaurav Bhave – 9699814625/9821848018.