Event Tag : Trikon #185
Event Name : Roopkund Trek
Event Date : 17th to 26th June 2017
EvenCost t : INR 18,500/- per pax (Mumbai to Mumbai)
Event Cost : INR 14,500/- per pax (Delhi to Delhi)
Total Seats : 20
Type : Big Chutti Plans
OVERVIEW OF THE TREK
Duration : 11 days / 10 nights
Start / Finish Point : Lohajung
Nearest Town : Kathgodam
Grade : Moderate to Difficult
Maximum altitude: 5029 m (approx 16000 ft)
The Roopkund Trek in the Garhwal region of Uttarakhand is inarguably one of the most popular Himalayan treks in India. You ask what makes it so popular amongst trekkers? The deep forests, the snowy mountain views, the high altitude lakes, the undulating meadows(bugyals), the quaint villages and not to forget the highest altitude finish at 16,000 ft in 5 days.
The Roopkund lake, the summit point of this trek, is a glacial lake at an altitude of 5029 metres lying in the Chamoli district of Uttarakhand within Nanda Devi Biosphere Reserve in the lap of Mt Trishul Massif. Roopkund is famous due to the skeletal remains of humans and animals found at its banks which date back to the Paleolithic era. Although the exact cause of the death is still unknown, it is believed that a natural calamity like blizzard, landslide or hailstorm would have caused the catastrophe. Rightly, Roopkund has been christened the “Mystery Lake” and entices hoards of trekkers and mountaineers every year in their quest for adventure and thrill.
If you are looking for a trek with immense natural beauty and an adventurous journey to make it to the coveted “15000 feet Club”, Roopkund is the ideal bet for you!
· High altitude trekking through snow
· The Mystery Lake - Roopkund
· The Kalu Vinayak Temple
· Witnessing the grand Himalayan Vistas at 16000 ft
· Crossing deep mountain forests of rhododendron and oak
· Views of magnificent peaks of Garhwal region
· Interacting with the locals and getting a sneak peek into their traditions and culture
Day 0, 16th June, Friday : Mumbai to Delhi
· Reporting at Mumbai Central Railway Terminus @ 22:30
· Catch the train 22209/NDLS Duronto Express @23:15 hrs for Delhi
Day 1, 17th June, Saturday : Delhi to Kathgodam
· Reach New Delhi Railway Station , Delhi @16:30 hrs
· Move to Old Delhi Railway Station
· Catch the train 15013 / Ranikhet Express @21:30 hrs
Day 2: 18th June , Sunday : Kathgodam to Lohajung
· Our team will meet you at Kathgodam station. From there, we drive to Lohajung by private vehicle. This is one of the most scenic drives alongside flowing rivers through Pindar valley. On our way we cross Almora, a pretty town at the southern edge of the Kumaon Hills of the Himalayan range.
· Registration, Acclimatization walk, and Orientation at Kathgodam
· Stay in guest-house/homestay at Kathgodam
Day 3: 19th June , Monday : Lohajung to Didna Village
· We start our trek from the Lohajung and steadily climb upwards towards the Lohajung pass. Then we descend to the Bedni river popularly known as “Bedni Ganga”.
· After crossing a bridge over Bedni Ganga, we enter the forests of bamboo and oak and continue our trek till we cross the Didna village to reach the meadows.
· We camp here for the night.
Day 4 : 20th June , Tuesday : Didna village to Ali Bugyal
· We will start our day early with a few stretching exercises followed by a delicious breakfast. After our trek leader briefs us on today’s trek schedule, we will start our trek to Ali Bugyal.
· We climb up through oak and bamboo forests and cross them to be greeted by the spectacular views of the Garhwal Himalayan peaks.
· Some more trekking and we reach one of the breathtaking campsites of Garhwal -Ali Bugyal. Ali Bugyal is an alpine grazing meadow surrounded by the snowy Himalayan vistas in all directions - just what an exhausted trekker needs for rejuvenation!!
· We camp here for the night.
Day 5 : 21st June , Wednesday : Ali Bugyal to Ghora Lotani
· This is a slightly easy stretch. From Ali Bugyal we go up and cross the ridge while our eyes feast on the beauty of the surroundings.
· After trekking for a couple of hours Ghora Lotani campsite welcomes us with its flatland and magnificent views. We reach the campsite by afternoon giving us enough time for acclimatization. Beyond Ghora Lotani -the last point for the horses, the meadows meet the mountains. A clear stream at Ghora Lotani provides a good source of water to the tired trekkers.
· We retire early to prepare for the next day.
Day 6: 22nd June , Thursday : Ghora Lotani to Bhagwabasa
· From Ghora Lotani, we will begin trekking at a slow and steady pace to reach our destination Bhagwabasa at 14,500 ft. In this trail we must take periodic halts and take regular sips of the water as the air is thin and trekkers are prone to altitude sickness. Choose your pace. There is no hurry! It’s a trek, not a race.
· A steep zigzag climb will take us to Kalu Vinayak which gets its name from the black Ganesh idol perched in a stone shrine with lots of bells and tridents. We will seek blessings from Lord Ganesha here for a safe summiting to Roopkund lake.
· The trail from Kalu Vinayak to Bhagwabasa is easy and gently slopes downwards. The campsite of Bhagwabasa is desolate, boulder-strewn and is hit by chilly northern winds. We take resort in stone shelter huts at this campsite.
· Nights are freezing cold. Hence we retire early to prepare for the next day.
Day 7: 23rd June , Friday : Bhagwabasa to Roopkund Lake and back to Bedni Bugyal via Bhagwabasa
· This is the most exciting day of the trek! We start our climb at 5 am after breakfast. We will start at this time as the snow is hard before the sunrise and hence it is less watery and more comfortable for trekkers.
· Fom Bhagwabasa, Roopkund Lake can be reached by a gradual ascent of 5 Kms in approximately 3.5 hours. The climb is steep towards the end of the trail.
· A further trek of around half an hour takes to the highest point of Roopkund Lake trek - Junargali. However, trek to Junargali is attempted only if weather permits.
· Then we head back for our campsite at Bedni Bugyal via Bhagwabasa. Roopkund to Bhagwasa takes around 2.5 hours as the slopes are tricky and slippery. After a brief rest at Bhagwasa we start our downclimb towards Bedni Bugyal.
· The views from the alpine camp at Bedni Bugyal are unbelievably beautiful with Trishul and Nanda Ghunti mountains at the backdrop.
· We camp at Bedni Bugyal for the night.
Day 8: 24th June , Saturday : Bedni Bugyal to Lohajung via Wan
· This is a day of return trek comprising mainly of steep descends and short ascends. Once we start we will see the meadows disappear after some time.
· We will trek through oak and Rhododendron forest to arrive at Kanakdhar where we get a magnificent view of Mt. Trishul.
· From here it is a steep ridge descent to the Neel Ganga. Once we reach the bridge on the Neel Ganga we will clean ourselves with the cool and refreshing water and rest a little before proceeding forward.
· From Neel Ganga, we climb for around an hour to reach to the ridge above Wan village. This technically marks the end of the trek and the return to civilization.
· At Wan village, our vehicles await us to drive us to Lohajung where we stay for the night.
Day 9: 25th June , Sunday : Lohajung to Kathgodam & Kathgodam to Delhi
· We start early in the morning from Lohajung for Kathgodam by private vehicle. Expect to reach Kathgodam in the evening at around 7 pm.
· Catch the train 15014/Ranikhet Express @20:40 hrs for Delhi
Day 10: 26th June , Monday : Delhi to Mumbai
· Reach Old Delhi Station (DEE) @ 04:30hrs
· Travel till Nizamuddin Station (NZM)
· Catch the train 12954/ August Kranti Rajdhani @16:50 hrs
Day 10: 27th June, Tuesday
· Reach Mumbai Central Railway Terminus @ 09:45 hrs
· Bid goodbye with memories of a lifetime with the promise of meeting again!
· Accommodation (Homestay & Camping during trek)
· Transport from Mumbai to Mumbai(Mumbai to Delhi and Delhi to Mumbai by 3AC , Delhi to Kathgodam and Kathgodam to Delhi by NonAC Sleeper Class)
· Guest House/Homestay at Lohajung
· Transport from Kathgodam to Kathgodam
· Veg meals while on trek
· Trekking equipment(Tents, Sleeping bags)
· Necessary permits
· First aid medical kits
· Qualified and experienced trek leader, guide, and support staff
THINGS TO CARRY
· Backpack (min 60 Ltrs) with rain cover
· Daypack to carry necessary things for a day (20 litres)
· Trekking Shoes (Forclaz 100, 500 recommended)
· 3 pairs of full sleeve shirts/T-shirts
· 2 pairs of trekking/track pants
· 3 pairs of cotton socks. 2 pairs of woollen socks
· 1 full sleeve sweater
· 1 fleece jacket (preferable)
· One padded/down jacket
· Thermal inners - 1 Pair
· 1 pair of slippers
· 1 pair of water-resistant gloves
· Rain coat/ Poncho/ Wind cheater (No umbrellas please!)
· Sun cap
· 1 scarf/neck-warmer/balaclava
· 1 Light towel
· Personal toilet kit – Must contain Face-wash, Toothpaste, toothbrush, Cold cream, Lip balm and sun screen (SPF 40+)
· 1 Toilet paper roll
· 2 water bottles (1 Litre each)
· Headlamp or torch with fresh pair of batteries
· Personal medical kit
· Dark sunglasses (U/V protected)
· 1 Walking stick
· Enerzyl Powder or Glucon D powder
· Snacks & Biscuits
Avoid wearing precious Jewellery while trekking, as Travel Trikon won’t be responsible for any losses for the same.
This is a trek in the Himalayas where there is rarely any infrastructure; so please do not expect luxurious hotels for overnight stays or AC vehicles for transportation
Rs. 5,000 needs to be deposited for booking which is non-refundable. Rest of the payment to be done 14 days before the event start date.
This is an adventure trip, where any unforeseen circumstances may contribute to the need for a change in itinerary. In such situations, we or your trek leader will suggest the best alternative similar to your original itinerary. In case of alternate plan, the expenses towards the same shall be borne by the participant.
Consuming liquor or any kind of Alcoholic substance is prohibited. Carrying any kind of substance that’s illegal is not allowed. Smoking is strictly not allowed. Anybody found smoking or consuming alcoholic drinks will be expelled from the event without refund.
Fitness & Health – Though trekking is a fun-filled activity, it demands good amount of physical fitness. If you are under medication, please carry your medicines. During the trek, leaders will have over the counter medication for temporary treatment, so do give a heads up to them if you need any medical assistance.
Please call on +919819021806 / +919920474297 for any query.
For any other information, please drop us an email with your name and phone number at email@example.com. Please write the subject of the mail as ‘Trikon #185 Roopkund Trek On 17th-26th June 2017 ’
Please expect a delay in response for any queries on Saturday & Sunday as Travel Trikon Team will be travelling to some or the other event. Thanks for your understanding & co-operation.
Please refer to following links for more information:
Why Travel Trikon?
Rules and Regulation
Registration & Cancellation Policy
Follow us on:
"For WhatsApp notifications on Travel Trikon upcoming events, please ping us 'UPDATE' with your 'NAME' on 9819021806"
Please save this number as Travel Trikon to receive Broadcast message
Look forward to having you with us!
Team Travel Trikon
Connect | Explore | Unwind