Join us at OWLET Outdoors for an easy one day trek to Karnala Fort and a guided nature trail in the surrounded bird sanctuary on Sunday, 16th July 2017.
Date: Sunday, 16 July 2017
Duration: One Day
About Karnala Fort –
Height: ~2500 feet above msl
While travelling on Mumbai – Goa Highway, between Panvel and Pen, we come across a green belt of vegetation or a jungle corridor. A tall thumb shaped pinnacle that attracts your attention is nothing but Karnala Fort. There are some caves and water cisterns carved at the base of the pinnacle. Remains of fortification and entrance door can be seen. From top one can see forts in the area like - Prabalgad, Sankshi, Irshalgad, Manikgad, Eliphanta Island etc.
This fort is surrounded by a Bird Sanctuary which is popular destination for birdwatchers and nature lovers. 17 Sq km area of this sanctuary is a home of over 220 species of birds in which 161 are residents & 59 are winter as well as passage migrants. Some endemic species to western ghat are also found here. Approx 114 species of butterflies, several reptiles and amphibians as well as animals like Barking Deer, Four Horned Antelope, Wild Boar, Jungle Cat, Indian Fox, Hare, Hyena, Porcupine, Ruddy Mongoose, Hanuman Langoor, Bonnet Macaque and rarely a leopard can also be spotted here.
Pune participants –
Meet at Nal stop at 5:00 hrs sharp
Proceed To Karnala by private non ac vehicle
Mumbai Participants –
Meet at Panvel Railway Station by 7:30 hrs sharp
Travel by private local transport to Karnala
Reach to Karnala Bird Sanctuary by 8:00 hrs
Round of Introduction and instructions
Start hike towards Karnala Fort by 8:30 hrs
Reach Top and Explore Fort
Start descend by 11:30 hrs
Lunch and rest at the base by 13:00 hrs
Explore trail towards Mortaka
Informative session on Karnala wildlife
Travel back to Pune / Panvel by 16:00 hrs
Cost of the event would be
Rs. 800/- for Pune participants and
Rs. 400/- for Mumbai participants
The cost include –
Transportation ex Panvel for Mumbai participants
Transportation by private bus for Pune participant
Breakfast, Evening snacks and Tea
Guide and expertise charges
The cost excludes –
Lunch for the day
Any kind of travel insurance
Mineral water and cold drinks
Anything which is not mentioned in cost includes
To register for the event, contact:
Mumbai Coordinators - 9987577684 / 9987007742
Pune Coordinators – 8600762186
Email us at - firstname.lastname@example.org
List of things to be carried by every individual -
• A haversack to put in everything to be carried for the trek
• At least 2 Liters of water
• Lunch for the day
• Extra set of clothes, Towel / Napkin,
• Plastic to wrap all your stuffs
• Torch with extra set of batteries
• Camera, Something to munch on (Optional)
• Personal medicines required if any
• Identity Proof
Few rules that we would like people to follow -
• Consumption of alcohol, smoking, drugs, narcotics is strictly now allowed and would lead to expulsion from the trek.
• Leader's decision will be final and binding to all members. No arguments will be entertained.
• Each member is responsible for their own safety and baggage.
• Please do not wear any jewellery or gold ornaments.
• Please do not litter. Do not throw plastic, paper, wrappers, bottles etc. Carry them home to throw in the dustbin.
• We strongly believe in saying - Wherever we go, leave only footprints and take back only memories.
It is advisable to wear full sleeve clothes and comfortable trekking shoes.
Hiking / Trekking / Rock climbing is an adventurous activity and accidents can happen in spite of taking utmost caution and care. The organization will not be responsible for any injury / accident / death to the participant while on trek.
Team OWLET Outdoors